Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > The Braindead Oven

The Braindead Oven We love to eat. You love to eat. Let's talk about food here!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Alles Klar Herr Kommissar

Matt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandas
Default Paleo Chow

Since a bunch of us are doing the paleo diet now (to varying degrees), here's a thread to collect the best recipes that we've found.

Note: Let's keep this thread specific to paleo recipes. If it's posted, it's paleo. Put anything else in the other food threads.

Note #2: Only post the recipe if you've actually made it and can vouch for how good it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Matt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandas

PALEO CABBAGE ROLLS:

Here is that killer paleo cabbage rolls recipe that I found online:

Ingredients:
12 large cabbage leaves
1 egg
1/4 cup chicken or beef stock
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 lb ground beef
1 cup cauliflower, grated
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

(note: the ingredients above are from the recipe. I double the tomato sauce and lemon juice to make more sauce)

Directions:
- Blanch the cabbage leaves by placing them in a pot of boiling salted water for about 2 minutes (until the cabbage leaves start to soften). Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Combine together the stock, onion, ground beef, cauliflower, and egg. Season the mixture to taste with the sea salt and black pepper.
- Place the soft cabbage leaves on a flat surface and fill each one with 1/12 of the meat mixture near the base of the leaves.
- Fold the sides of the leaves and roll them on themselves to close up the mixture inside.
- Prepare the sauce by combining together the tomato sauce with the lemon juice. Season the sauce to taste with the sea salt and black pepper.
- Place the stuffed cabbage rolls inside a crock pot and cover them with the tomato sauce.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours.

Prep time usually takes me about a half hour (dipping around with the cabbage leaves takes the longest). My wife and I will typically eat half of them that day and save the rest for leftovers. They heat up perfectly.

Good chow. I did them with that 90% lean grass fed beef you can get from Whole Foods and they came out great.
Quote:
Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
Quote:
Old 07-01-2013, 01:19 PM
getting ready for summer

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

awesome. Thanks man!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:19 PM

PALEO BREAKFAST BARS:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup creamy roasted almond butter
2 eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon stevia (or coconut palm sugar)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
coconut oil

For the ingredients, get gluten free/non gmo stuff.

1. In a large bowl, use a hand blender and mix the almond butter until creamy
2. Mix in eggs, honey, vanilla extract, and stevia
3. Add salt, baking soda, and cinnamon
4. Mix well until it's all blended together and smooth.
5. Use coconut oil to grease up a standard 8X8 baking dish (basic brownie pan).
6. Pour the batter into the pan, spread it evenly.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 minutes (I do 15)

That's it. It makes four large pieces. I eat that for breakfast along with a ton of water. Really easy to make and extremely tasty.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
getting ready for summer

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

Have you used the Stevia? I saw it at Traders, but wasn't sure if it would be "healthier" than the sugar.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:29 PM

yep. got it at Whole Foods. Works fine, and a little goes a long way.

Some Paleo books say it's a viable thing to use, others say it's a No No. I've used it without issue.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM
getting ready for summer

ok cool. I just wasn't sure if it was going to give me cancer of the balls or something.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:47 PM
It's in the bone!

Trejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurts

Read title, expected:

Another of life's many disappointments..
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM
getting ready for summer

hahahahha. yesssssss
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

That frog dna will carry us to glory one day.
You have to understand, these are people who work hard for a living. They have tough lives. Structured lives. They work all day, then they have dinner, put their kids to bed, go to sleep, and get back to the set at five o’clock the next morning. Everything else in life except for dreams has rules.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
ok cool. I just wasn't sure if it was going to give me cancer of the balls or something.
To clarify: I've only used it in those paleo breakfast bars, and that recipe does NOT call for a lot. Indeed, you can probably get by with just the honey as a sweetener.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 AM

I made the following three desserts for the 4th of July. All three of them came out amazing, especially the pie. I can highly recommend any/all of them:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-f...ot-power-bars/
http://www.elanaspantry.com/coconut-bars/
http://www.elanaspantry.com/banana-cream-pie/
http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-pie-crust/ (for the pie above)

The only problem I had was with the pie setting in the fridge. It just wouldn't solidify at all. I ended up putting it in the freezer for about an hour before serving and that helped put it into a form that could be sliced and served. It tasted amazing so nobody complained that it had the consistency of pudding.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 AM
getting ready for summer

Those breakfast bars are pretty tasty, Matt. We made our first batch last night and had them this morning. We used half of the cinnamon (we ran out) and they tasted awesome. Thanks for that recipe.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 AM

cool, glad you liked 'em. They're great to pound in the morning when you simply don't have time to make a big breakfast.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-17-2013, 07:51 AM
getting ready for summer

yeah for sure. Will hopefully try your cabbage roll recipe in the next week or so.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 AM
<-My Inspiration

Lesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The Fahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
cool, glad you liked 'em. They're great to pound in the morning when you simply don't have time to make a big breakfast.
Plus they almost feel like a dessert! Yum!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM
getting ready for summer

that's the only thing that throws me off actually. I feel dirty when having them for breakfast.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 AM

I won't lie...I've cut one of those in half and split it with my wife for dessert.

twice.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 AM
getting ready for summer

Paleo Fajitas:

ingredients:
  • 1 pound chicken breast (cut into strips)
  • 1 medium white onion
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • salsa
  • guacamole (this recipe is the SHIT, or just avocado slices to your liking)
  • cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, other spicy spices
  • coconut oil
  • lemon juice (half a lemon, lime juice)

steps:
  • cut chicken breasts into strips and season with seasonings above. Chill for at least 30 mins - 1 hour in the fridge to marinate in spicyness.
  • cut up onion/peppers in to strips
  • heat up wok/skillet on medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
  • add onions first. About 3 mins.
  • add chicken and stir occasionally (so it doesn't burn) for about 10-12 mins
  • right before the chicken is cooked through completely, add peppers and some lemon juice/lime juice (like half a lemon/lime is good)
  • NOM NOM NOM on a plate with some guacamole/avocado and some salsa mixed in.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 AM
getting ready for summer

So good.