Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Music

Music Cj used to love ICP, Rob used to love NKOTB. Who do you love?

Old 07-20-2011, 04:13 PM
My wife's son

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

Nick Cave's double album Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus is nearly perfect.

If not for 'The Fable of the Big Brown Ape', it would be that p-word.

Boatman's Call is already there, but A/L is close.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 AM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Martin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMichaelKrol View Post
Every time one of these goddamn threads pops up, I always draw a blank.

My vote would go to Arcade Fire, The Funeral. Pretty fucking great record right there. Probably close to perfect as I can come up with right now.
Funeral is indeed perfect. Neon Bible is close, but not there.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 AM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Martin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandas

Radiohead - Kid A

I love Ok Computer, but Kid A surprised me by being different and BETTER!

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Cornerstone of any electronic list. Angel is that track I use to test sound systems.

Also: Best fuck music. Ever.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Has left the building

Ben Thomas is so fucking epic it hurtsBen Thomas is so fucking epic it hurtsBen Thomas is so fucking epic it hurtsBen Thomas is so fucking epic it hurtsBen Thomas is so fucking epic it hurtsBen Thomas is so fucking epic it hurtsBen Thomas is so fucking epic it hurtsBen Thomas is so fucking epic it hurtsBen Thomas is so fucking epic it hurtsBen Thomas is so fucking epic it hurtsBen Thomas is so fucking epic it hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Radiohead - Kid A

I love Ok Computer, but Kid A surprised me by being different and BETTER!

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Cornerstone of any electronic list. Angel is that track I use to test sound systems.

Also: Best fuck music. Ever.
Can't really argue with Mezzanine, as its my favourite MA album, but In Rainbows is a better pick for a Radiohead album that doesn't drop the ball once.

My personal picks (from the last decade) would be The Dears' You and I Are a Gang of Losers and Elbow's Leaders of the Free World.

Leaders especially has some of my all-time favourite songs on it, but there simply isn't a weak track on there (The Everthere and An Imagined Affair are as disposable as it gets, and they're both crammed with fantastic imagery) and, for me, I doubt they'll ever recapture the synergy at play on that album. Its from a time when they had just a taste of success but were still hungry to establish themselves (its their 3rd album) as something different, so it rocks back and forth from introspective beauty (My Very Best, Great Expectations) to barnstorming anthems (the title track and Forget Myself) to pleasing, little rock songs (Picky Bugger, Mexican Standoff). Puncture Repair, the epilogue as it were, is an example of how much a run-time deficient song can achieve, clocking in under 2 minutes.

The Dears' album is simply the pinnacle of their work so far (though their latest, Degeneration Street is very good) - for me, its every bit as good as AF's Funeral, if not quite as bombastic. Certainly it has more going on under the surface and no shortage of anthemic rock songs.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

A lot of people who have said OK Computer or even Hail to the Thief before In Raindows, but all of them are great. It's a matter of taste.

And Leaders is a great album.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 AM
My wife's son

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

OK is flawless. The rest of them are very close. That band is ridiculously talented and I hate their fans.

You guys are excluded from that broad generalization, though.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I'll See You in 25 Years

BMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurtsBMichaelKrol is so fucking epic it hurts

I've been getting into Elbow lately, thanks for the recommendation on their 3rd record. It speaks to my newly minted middle-aged-dom.

Twitter.com/bmkrol
Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMichaelKrol View Post
I've been getting into Elbow lately, thanks for the recommendation on their 3rd record. It speaks to my newly minted middle-aged-dom.
Leaders and Seldom Seen Kids are great stuff.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 AM
It's in the bone!

Trejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurtsTrejo is so fucking epic it hurts

Selena Gomez - "Kiss & Tell"
Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 AM
My wife's son

DOHOHOHOHOHO

The Stooges S/T.

Still fucking furious.

Still all over the place.

And I fucking love it.

Last edited by Captain Russ; 07-22-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:38 PM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Matt will back me, but

The Tea Party - The Edges of Twilight

is still the shit.

Also: The Clash - London Calling

Best punk album. Ever.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Elitist

patronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Barty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Stupid View Post
At The Drive-In's Relationship of Command.

While it has a couple of lulls in the absolute sonic fury present everywhere else on the album, it is an out-and-out amazing and nigh-relentless swan song that to me remains an amazing time capsule before everyone and their mother came out of the woodwork to rape and pillage its corpse with unoriginal and uninspired postpunk asshattery.

Almost perfect is perfect in this case.

And I was serious about Hot Fuss too. It is a fantastic glam/pop/dance-rock record from start to finish.
Tried to rep on both of those. Good call.
Quote:
The Clash - London Calling
Agreed. Love that album.

Some of mine:

Little Brother: The Listening - a great hip hop album from beginning to end that was released during an era of horrible hip hop.
NERD: In Search Of... - horribly slept on a true masterpiece.
Dr. Dre: The Chronic - the definition of West Coast gangsta shit
Ghostface Killah: Ironman
Only Built for Cuban Linx: Raekwon
Young Jeezy: Let's Get It Thug Motivation 101
Jaylib: Champion Sound - two of the best hip hop producers rap over one another's beats. An aural pleasure to say the least.
Heltah Skeltah: Nocturnal
Kings of Leon: Only by the Night - overplayed or not, this album is still heavily on rotation in my house.
Mars Volta: Frances The Mute
Old 07-22-2011, 02:57 PM
My wife's son

The fact you care is good enough.

Seconding that N.E.R.D. record. Not even the unfolding nightmare that is Pharrell can tear that album down.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 PM
It's All A Deep End

PHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandas

U2 "The Unforgetable Fire" and "The Joshua Tree"
Old 12-26-2011, 07:00 PM

teledork is so fucking epic it hurtsteledork is so fucking epic it hurtsteledork is so fucking epic it hurtsteledork is so fucking epic it hurtsteledork is so fucking epic it hurtsteledork is so fucking epic it hurtsteledork is so fucking epic it hurtsteledork is so fucking epic it hurtsteledork is so fucking epic it hurtsteledork is so fucking epic it hurtsteledork is so fucking epic it hurts

Bruce and the E Street Band - Born to Run
"Meeting Across the River" is one of the greatest things I've ever heard, and hardly anyone knows about that one.

+1 on The Clash

Del Amitri - Change Everything
This recording was my lifeline during my divorce in the 90s. Excellent songs, all written by the band, and none of them less than really really good. Understands the value of bittersweet without going maudlin.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Squeedly Werrrr

Chris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandas

How did I miss this thread?
Pink Floyd: Animals
Pigs on the Wing 1: Roger Waters is rarely quietly introspective, but when he is, it's aces
Dogs: If you aren't moved during Gilmour's harmonized solo, you really need to get your soul checked
Pigs(3 Different Ones) BASS SOlO! And no, that's not Roger, it's Dave, but he does a killer job. Also CHARADE YOU ARE! Such a great rock chord progression, I've used it for jams countless times
Sheep: "Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream" still goes down as one of my favorite all time lyrics.
Pigs on the Wing Part 2: see part one.

Will expand at some later point on these other perfect albums:
Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream
Counting Crows: August and Everything After (suck it, this album is great)
Live: Throwing Copper (also, suck it)
The Beatles: Abbey Road
Pearl Jam: 10 (versus is also perfect, but someone else already expounded)
RHCP: Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Pixies: Surfer Rose
The Wrens: The Meadowlands
Bob Marley: Survival

Check out my music, if you please:
http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/
Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 AM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

That Live album is the only good thing they ever did. Still like it. Secret Samadhi ain't bad either, but anyting before and after those is pure SHIT.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 AM
Squeedly Werrrr

Chris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandas

Mental Jewelry wasn't bad, Throwing Copper was awesome, the next couple of albums had a couple of decent songs, and then Ed seemed to completely run out of steam. Their last album was like someone took a shit on some crap and then pooped on it.

Check out my music, if you please:
http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/
Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Alles Klar Herr Kommissar

Matt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandas

really liked SECRET SAMADHI. That was the only one of their albums that ever really grabbed me. It had some nice prog elements to it.

And Chris? Fist bump on ANIMALS. I agree, it's perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
Quote:
And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Malfunctioning Host

IggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandas

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast
Metallica: Master of Puppets
The Police: Synchronicity
Rainbow: Rising
Joe Jackson: Night and Day
Warren Zevon: Excitable Boy

MAYBE Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.