Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Music

Music Cj used to love ICP, Rob used to love NKOTB. Who do you love?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Alles Klar Herr Kommissar

Matt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandas

My 6-10, by the way:

6. Black Sabbath - 'Heaven and Hell'
7. Blue Oyster Cult - 'Cultasaurus Erectus'
8. Pink Floyd - 'Animals'
9. Iron Maiden - 'The Number of the Beast'
10. Queen - 'Queen II'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 PM
massing near Sullust

Bobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurts

In no particular order...

1. Elvis Costello: My Aim is True
A few years after I started getting serious about music, I got an issue of Q magazine with a huge list of "essential" punk albums (Inflammable Material, The Clash, Singles Going Steady...) and, amongst all the scrunched up faces and tough guy poses, there was this jazzy cover with a dude holding a guitar like a gun. It didn't look very "punk" to my barely teenage self, still to properly comprehend the meaning of the term, but it stuck with me. A number of years later, I took a chance on the album, as I had with so many from the list and others like it. I'm glad I waited because my maturing palette instantly fell in love with every swingin', romantic note of this pop masterpiece. Not only did Declan McManus show me that restraint and melodies can trump the mightiest of chops, he destroyed that niggling voice in my head that it ain't punk to write about girls (Aaaaaaaaaaaaaalisooooooooonnn....) It does sound 34 years old and yet it doesn't sound 34 years old. Diverse, charming, evergreen.

2. Weezer: Weezer (Blue Album)
Still the quirky alt-pop benchmark. This album, which I didn't like at first because it wasn't 10 "Buddy Hollys" (what can I say, I was very particular in high school) soon became the first album I habitually listened to in its entirety. There's not a doubt in my mind it's still the album I've listened to most. Wry nerd fuzz rock par excellence.

3. Sugar: Copper Blue
Bob Mould basically invented modern alternative guitar playing and Copper Blue is the sound of the maestro perfecting the art. It's no exaggeration to say it's an awe-inspiring collection of chugging power chords, prickly arpeggios, and stratospheric harmonies. The deceptively simple lyrics and songwriting work beautifully whether it's been a good day or a bad year. Being a great "breakup album" is one thing, but it's quite another to be both a strong breakup and "love is all around" album. It's no coincidence this is the only vinyl I've ever bought.

4. The Afghan Whigs: Black Love
Booze. Broads. Bullets. This is the soundtrack to the greatest gangster movie never made; and that's precisely why you've got to listen to it the whole way through to get the full effect. It's less a concept album than it is an aural noir epic with its own narrative, right down to the bookend train "entrance/exit". Greg Dulli's impossibly cool growls elevate the potentially pompous to the truly magnificent. To hear the soul (literal and figurative) of this record is to truly appreciate just how empty so much music, especially in the rock bracket, really is.

5. Japandroids: Post-Nothing
Two Canadian gentlemen who sound like a Death Star blowing up inside another Death Star, Japandroids are probably what you would get if My Bloody Valentine jammed with the punk kids in the garage down the street. A refreshingly honest, manifesto-free riffstorm. Best served: LOUD and repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
Rage Against The Machine is... about how much you enjoy that one note.
"Bulls on Parade", literally, has a one-note chorus (F#.) That's some good octavin'! I still prefer their debut, but I think a big part of that is the fact that it's a seminal bass jam album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I'm afraid to revisit Siamese Dream.
My Gooner friend already beat me to "don't be."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
1. Zero
2. Bullet with ButterflyWings....
No room for "Jellybelly", "Here Is No Why", or "Where Boys Fear to Tread?"
Old 06-23-2011, 05:35 PM
A Galaxy Fart Fart Away

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

Weezer's rhapsody in Blue was on there until I couldn't agree with myself on it or Pinkerton for inclusion.

Nice list, Bobby. And a 'Droids shoutout too. OHYEAAAAAHOHYEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Right meow!

Nathan is as epic as The FaheyNathan is as epic as The FaheyNathan is as epic as The FaheyNathan is as epic as The FaheyNathan is as epic as The FaheyNathan is as epic as The FaheyNathan is as epic as The FaheyNathan is as epic as The FaheyNathan is as epic as The FaheyNathan is as epic as The FaheyNathan is as epic as The Fahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bear View Post

"Bulls on Parade", literally, has a one-note chorus (F#.) That's some good octavin'! I still prefer their debut, but I think a big part of that is the fact that it's a seminal bass jam album.

When they go back into the last "Bulls on Parade" at the end I get goose bumps everytime. That doesn't happen much anymore.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 AM
feels good man

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

PINKERTON 4LYFE
Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 AM
A Galaxy Fart Fart Away

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

I'm with you, up until "Butterfly" begins.

I know it merits inclusion thematically, but gahtdamn, Rivers.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Squeedly Werrrr

Chris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandas

I've decided that "What Went Wrong with Weezer" is most definitely the departure of Matt Sharp. Sure, the bass playing has been covered competently, but Sharp brought a distinct sense of whimsy and fun to Rivers' obnoxious self loathing and nostalgia (don't get me wrong, self loathing is a time honored part of rock and roll, but Sharp's high vocals and screamed callbacks seemed to take River's mooning for being a highschooler from obnoxious to endearing.)

Check out my music, if you please:
http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/
Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 AM
A Galaxy Fart Fart Away

Hired Gun Tattoo Bro is an enabler.

Same with Green Album Sweater Guy.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Squeedly Werrrr

Chris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandasChris Miller is a god amongst pandas

From what I remember, Mikey - the Green Album Sweater guy, was really really crazy.

And it's obvious I think that Cuomo needs an editor, that guy was probably also Matt Sharp. Sucks for him that he hitched his trailer to The Rentals (he didn't think Rivers was going to come back to the band after he went back to college), and it really sucks for Weezer fans, too.

Check out my music, if you please:
http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM
A Galaxy Fart Fart Away

I remember Mikey and the story that he had been committed to an asylum at one point.

Rivers really does need someone to call him on his shit, but he's sadly gone the way of many artists before him in becoming so insular that that is nearly impossible now.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM
massing near Sullust

Bobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurtsBobby Bear is so fucking epic it hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMeatbag View Post
Weezer's rhapsody in Blue was on there until I couldn't agree with myself on it or Pinkerton for inclusion.

Nice list, Bobby. And a 'Droids shoutout too. OHYEAAAAAHOHYEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
Thanks, mate! The 'Droids album is far and away the most recent inclusion, but I knew it belonged here because I gave it marathon repeat listens for weeks after I first got it and I still go back fairly regularly.

I'm loving these lists so far, people. Plenty of choices I support (The 'Mats, natch', G 'n' R, Pumpkins) Spotify shall be consulted for those I'm unfamiliar with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
When they go back into the last "Bulls on Parade" at the end I get goose bumps everytime.
That is a tremendously heavy moment! Totally understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
I've decided that "What Went Wrong with Weezer" is most definitely the departure of Matt Sharp.
I always thought he was great... and a suave gentleman for wearing that Barcelona top in the "El Scorcho" video, too.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:55 PM
It's All A Deep End

PHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandas

wtf? I thought I added my list last night. It no here.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:15 PM
It's All A Deep End

PHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandas

New Order - Substance
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Daft Punk - Discovery
Röyksopp - Melody A.M.
MSTRKRFT - The Looks
Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 PM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Martin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandas

Even making a top 10 is tough...

1- The Tea Party - The Edges of Twilight
The album that influenced me the most. It's a shame that the band never got big in the US (too early?), but that album defined my teenage years and the early 20's.

2- The National - Boxer
If the The Tea Party are my 20's, The National are my 30s. Easily the best rock band you barely heard of, these guys are superior musicians and outstanding performers. So far, their 3 last albums are classics and always on top 10 of nearly every critics, but Boxer takes the cake for me as that album that's perfect to listen to on an evening, with a glass of scotch in my hand.

3- Dead Can Dance - Toward The Within
Sort of a best of, it's a live album from one of the most influencial band of the 80's-90's. I always listen to DCD, or the solo albums of Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard (aka the best female vocalist ever).

4- VNV Nation- Empire
That one band that managed to infuse dancable music with deep lyrics. Still lvoe these guys, able to turn an electronic show that should technically be live karaoke into an event.

5- Sigur Ros - Takk
Kinda similar to DCD, Sigur Ros is able to move me while singing into a non-existence language (no, it's not Icelandic!). Orchestral, Takk is post-rock at it's best. Hoppipola is hope personified (see: the Children of Men trailer)

6- Radiohead - Kid A
7- Mumford and Sons- Sigh No More
8- New Order - Substance
9- Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
10- Iron Maiden - The Number of The Beast
Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Alles Klar Herr Kommissar

Matt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandas

it wouldn't be a MARTIN LIST without the Tea Party. No complaints from me of course...I love that album.

And HELL YES on the Iron Maiden love. It's a toss up between 'The Number of the Beast' and 'Piece of Mind', but I give the edge to Number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 PM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Martin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandas

For me Number is the best metal album ever. More so than Metallica's Master of Puppets, by a small margin.

And yeah Matt, me and TTP is like you and Rush, but The National might be my number one over time. Pure bliss.. And Mumford's stock might also rise over time.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Shut up, crime!

gravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandas

I remember seeing the Pumpkins live. They blew out the sound system on the intro to "Bullet With Butterfly Wings". When things got reset they restarted and played it the exact same. At the time I really enjoyed myself but looking back I realize it really wasn't a very good concert. But Fountains of Wayne opened (it was when their first album hit, on D'arcy and James' label) and they were really entertaining.

Here's my pedestrian list, which would mostly be completely different if you asked me on another day, kind of like a "favorite movies" list-

1. Before These Crowded Streets- Dave Matthews Band. No surprise. "Under the Table..." probably got more play back from me back in the day but I have to skip a coupls songs on that one these days. BTCS was crafted as a continuous suite with interludes connecting the songs and it still stands up, even if the opener has been overplayed to. death. live.

2. Earthling- David Bowie. Swap out "Seven Years in Tibet" for "Law" and I completely agree with Rob.

3. Animals- Pink Floyd. Really, this could just be a disc with only "Dogs" and I'd still put it here. Spent many an hour listening to this album instead of my History of US Politics professor in college.

4. Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big and Buzzy- The Refreshments. So much more than the "Jean-Luc Picard" song. It sucks that addiction ripped the band apart after only two albums. Roger CLyne and the Peacemakers are alright but it's not the same.

5. Rubber Soul- The Beatles. Probably too easy to list a Beatles record but I love the hell out of this one. Discovered it years after Sgt. Pepper and was like "man, what".