Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Music

Music Cj used to love ICP, Rob used to love NKOTB. Who do you love?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Fuck you all...

V is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
Yea. I was kind of shocked to acknowledge it myself. I told my girlfriend and she gave me this look like she wanted to hug me for realizing I just changed this really fundamental thing in my life. The list was always

1A - Megadeth
1B - Faith No More
1C - Led Zeppelin

1C now goes to Chains, and Zeppelin moves to 2.
Brock Samson's password says it all.

John. Bonham. Rocks.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 AM
is not Montel Williams

Ed Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
*clears throat* You forgot someone.
Sorry,

....AND HOWARD.

There.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
is not Montel Williams

Ed Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurts

Also, I just remembered that Violator came out that year. Goddamn, what an album.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Fleshlight King

BillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandas

OK, I just finished reading that first column, and I don't think I'll be able to stomach the remaining. He dismissed the music, tells the reader by high school he has trashed all the CDs he accumulated, and didn't listen to any of the music again until just recently. He's the one trying to write an retrospective on how much of a cultural shift grunge music was? The guy that listened to the music for at most 5 years, and dismissed it for a decade? Come on.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 AM
is not Montel Williams

The guy said it was a prologue article, he's no Nathan Rabin. Still, I always enjoy the comments that follow.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Fuck you all...

V is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
OK, I just finished reading that first column, and I don't think I'll be able to stomach the remaining. He dismissed the music, tells the reader by high school he has trashed all the CDs he accumulated, and didn't listen to any of the music again until just recently. He's the one trying to write an retrospective on how much of a cultural shift grunge music was? The guy that listened to the music for at most 5 years, and dismissed it for a decade? Come on.
Fucking hipsters, man...

They're everywhere.

Slacking in your neighborhood, buying caviar with food stamps... writing articles.

This shit needs to end. Now.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 AM
is not Montel Williams

Now hold on for a second,

No hipster uses food stamps.

They have money from their parents.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 AM
getting ready for summer

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hocken View Post
Now hold on for a second,

No hipster uses food stamps.

Do a google search for that. I remember reading an article at Salon about this.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Fuck you all...

It's true. I linked the article here and on Farceberk.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 AM
getting ready for summer

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

VIN-dication!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Fuck you all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
VIN-dication!

Your back. I haz it.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 AM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Timothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandas

I nominate Vin as the Great White Hipster Hunter. Who's with me?

Yep, read the article, shaking my head the whole time. Kid was too young to really appreciate the time period, to take advantage of all it offered, etc. so his opinion becomes suspect and irrelevant as a result.

By the mid-80's I was thoroughly into the alternative/underground music scene, mostly thanks to my college's radio station, the fact I had easy access to several quality record stores (Vintage Vinyl, folks! Used to mainline that store every week when it was in Eatontown), as well as many, MANY clubs to see bands play. Most of those, sadly, are long since gone - Club Bene, Birch Hill, The FastLane, The Saint, etc. Also the Stone Pony, though it's been ages since I've been there. That whole genre finally hit the mainstream during the grunge movement, despite not all of it being grunge or a distant relation at best.

IMHO, figuring grunge began and ended with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc. ignores a lot of preceding history, and unless you were really part of the scene at the time, you really can't speak of it beyond how Nevermind made you feel. Dude who wrote this article was out of it before he even got to high school, so take that for what you will.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 AM
getting ready for summer

Green River is still one of the best "grunge bands" that no one seems to talk about.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 AM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Timothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandas

I also don't hear much about Mother Love Bone either. Seconding Green River BTW.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 AM
getting ready for summer

Mother Love Bone...oh how I loved your name when I was a kid.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Fleshlight King

BillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandas

Mother Love Bone is fantastic. Really pissed there isn't more of their stuff on Mediafire. Also, Dinosaur JR. gets no love, and they should get TONS. Farm came out like a year ago, and it's incredible.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 AM
getting ready for summer

Dinosaur Jr. IS fucking AMAZING. Much love. One of my favorite bands.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 AM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Geez, been far too long since I heard any Dinosaur Jr. Same with bands like Sebadoh, ALL, The Descendants, Black Flag, and until recently, The Replacements.

Really, really gotta start reconnecting to my musical faves. As well as upgrade many of my old cassettes to CDs.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 AM
getting ready for summer

Sebadoh! OMG. I finally feel like I can add to the music conversation. <3 the 90s.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:57 AM
is a Ginormous Thing.

One cool thing about my first post-college jerb ('89 - '97) was I used to work with a guy named Erik who made weekly mix-tapes. Thanks to him, I was exposed to a TON of bands I'd never heard of before, even back in college.

Everybody needs a friend like that.