Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Random shit

Random shit Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Malfunctioning Host

IggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandas

BTW, Vin, I think CI sells the Pirate's Gold in pretty cheap bundles, and a fuller flavored fan might like them more than I did. Might be worth checking out. Also, I've never tried the "CI Knockoffs" as they call them, but one of the 2 versions supposedly compares favorably to Partagas, another famous full flavored brand. I'm not particularly fond of Partagas, which is why I haven't tried them, but may be worth a look.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Malfunctioning Host

IggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandas

Smoked a Gurkha Empire Series II (there are 6 different series). I didn't much care for this. It was a bit fuller & more robust than I generally care for. The CI catalog blurb says there's sweet tobacco nuances to be found here, which I like. But I didn't detect any. had they been there, they'd have raised my opinion of this cigar considerably. As it was, it was more of a woody core than anything else, with very little subtlety or nuance. Still, for all that, it IS a Gurkha, and was smooth & never overpowering. It kind of reminded me of a 5 Vegas Relic, of which I am a less than ardent fan, but was a lot smoother, and therefore, IMO anyway, better.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Malfunctioning Host

Smoked a 5 Vegas Limitada 2010 the other night. I have enjoyed the Limitadas a great deal since the 07, and was greatly anticipating this. Sadly, this one was a disappointment. Mostly earthy/woody in character, it had a bot of sweetness on the opening. had this hung around, it would have increased its rating substantially, both because it's a flavor nuance I happen to like and because it would have added depth to an otherwise fairly straightforward, relatively uninteresting smoke. The wrapper on this specimen also unraveled severely by the end (I gave up on it w/ more than 1" of otherwise usable smoke length to go). I'm not sure if I did something to the smoke to cause this, or if it's a defect endemic to the brand, but wrappers have a huge incluence over the flavor of a smoke, and the fact this one wasn't contributing to it for much of its length severely hampered it, in all likelihood. The 07 - 09 Limitadas were - by far - much better IMO.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Malfunctioning Host

Smoked a Diesel Unholy Cocktail tonight. I had been anticipating this one, as well, and was also a bit disappointed. It had nice woody core, & was just north of medium in strength. Some notes of sweetness came & went throughout the burn, but weremost noticeable on the opening. It wasn't nearly as complex as the CI blurb promised it would be. Decent, but nothing to write home about. Doubt I'd buy another.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Elitist

patronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Bartypatronsaintofcheeseburgers is almost as cool as Billy Barty

I'm no where as well versed as Iggy when it comes to cigars, but if I can recommend the Sancho Panza's to Vin. They're about $2-3 a stick but they've always been rated in the low 90's. I have yet to smoke one I haven't enjoyed. They are some of my favorites.

Currently personal faves are the Olivas Master Blends II and III...wish I could find some more of these, I'm down to like one of two of each. The CAO Sopranos were surprisingly good, I bought a few and have one saved for a special occasion. Anything Arturo Fuente does is gold.

Haven't smoked in about a year, but after skimming through this thread, I'll probably open the old humidor and bust something out. I typically only smoke during the summer as it's the most chill time to sit out on my patio with a glass of wine or a beer and take in the day. I'll post some of the stuff I smoke over the next few months.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:02 AM
yiff it and quit it

Shit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandas

I'm probably going to hit the cigar store in Santa Monica now thanks to this thread. Especially since I'm a fucking dickhead who bought cigarettes last night instead of saving money for a nice cigar.

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
*RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~
Old 05-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Fuck you all...

V is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandas

If I ever drag my lazy ass out of the house today, I'll look for those stogies. I'm of the mind that having to spend an hour or so smoking a cigar will keep me from buying Camels...

If so, it'll be money well spent.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 PM
yiff it and quit it

Shit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandas

I keep not buying cigars and buying fucking American Spirit Lights, and now I saw that news story about the 2 year-old who smokes two packs a day and want to kill whoever did that to him. Gonna throw/give away that half-pack when I get home and then hit a nice cigar joint sometime this weekend.

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
Old 05-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Malfunctioning Host

The only way to go, really.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Malfunctioning Host

Over the weekend I smoked an Augusto reyes Nativo. Nice smoke. Kind of toasty & bready, with a nice sweetness on the finish. Also produced copious amounts of smoke, and burned fairly evenly. A cigarfest freebie, but I don't think I liked it enough to add it to the regular rotation.

I also smoked a Zino Platinum. Nice toasty core. Smooth, but I didn't detect any special nuances. Started a little stronger, mellowed after the 1st 1" or so, and picked back up in strength for the last 2" (it was a 6" torpedo). It had a stem in it that burned a little more slowly than the surrounding tobacco, and tended to stick out beyond the ash at the foot as it burned. Surprising, since Zino/Davidoff is known for rigorous quality control. Still, did not detract seriously from the overall quality of the smoke. A Cigarfest freebie, but another I doubt I'd make a regular event.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Malfunctioning Host

Smoked a Cain Habano last night. This was a really, really great smoke. It was definitely full bodied, as you might expect, this being an all ligero cigar. Ligero is the potent, flavorful leaves blended into all cigars that give them their taste & oomph (other leaves, like viso & seco, are sometimes used to impart different flavors, or for their burn characteristics). Many cigar smokers (myself included) prefer larger ring gauges as a rule of thumb b/c you can get more of the ligero in there. Cain is made by Oliva, & was the brainchild of their wunderkind master blender Sam Leccia, who also came up w/ the idea for Nub cigars (which are very shot, but very thick so they burn at the same rate as a toro or churchill, but are only 4 - 4 1/2" long; the thick ring gauge, theoretically, makes the entire cigar the "sweet spot", where the flavor is at its best). Oliva seems willing to experiment with innovative blending ideas. Their experiment paid of here. Despite the full body, this cigar was incredibly smooth from start to finish. I couldn't identify its core until I cheated & looked up the CI blurb, which says it's "tobacco". Reading that, I went "Oh, yeah!" But a most smooth, pleasant tobacco core it was. There was a notable earthy sweetness on the finish. This cigar, a regularly proportioned 6 x 54 torpedo, was totally consistent until the end, when it got too hot to smoke, as all cigars do. This was a Cigarfest freebie, and I'm actually kind of glad we received 3 of them there (although ideally would have liked to try a maduro and series F as well). This one IS something I'd consider adding to the regular rotation.

As an aside, I just received the latest Cigar.com catalog yesterday, as well, and they are now selling Oliva's latest creation: an all ligero Cain cigar shaped like a Nub. I think my friend Potch's head will explode when he hears about this.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Alles Klar Herr Kommissar

Matt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandasMatt is a god amongst pandas

Don't think that I ever mentioned this, but my Masonic Lodge made it into an issue of Cigar Afficianado 3 years ago. I'll see if I can find the picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:03 PM
feels good man

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

Could never smoke a cigar now that I quit cigarettes.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Timothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandas

I love reading through this thread, as it always sounds like Iggy's having a kick-ass time, and I'm learning more about cigars, the different brands, etc. Only drawback is since I don't smoke, I feel like I'm missing out.

Keep the stories coming, Ig!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Malfunctioning Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Don't think that I ever mentioned this, but my Masonic Lodge made it into an issue of Cigar Afficianado 3 years ago. I'll see if I can find the picture.
Wait. . . what?? Reporters were not only allowed inside the sanctum sanctorum of forbidden rites & rituals, and lived to tell the tale, but they got pictures?! Have they met with any unfortunate. . . accidents. . . since then?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM
yiff it and quit it

What would be a good, relatively inexpensive cigar to pair with Balvenie Double Wood? I'm gonna need it after this fucking shitshow of an afternoon at work.

~
Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Malfunctioning Host

My 1st choices would be a CAO L'Anniversaire cameroon or a Romeo y Julieta (a/k/a R y J) Viejo. But they're not all that common in your average cigar shop. A regular R y J 1875 is very common, and would probably work well too. La Gloria Cubana (the standard blend, not the Serie R) would also probably pair very well.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Malfunctioning Host

Potch and a law school bud came over Thursday night, and we smoked a couple stoges & BS'd for a few hours. I chose as my 1st entry a Perdomo Grand Cru Conecticut. Not bad, but not the best offering from this brand, either. Mainly toasty and leathery, with some faint sweetness on the finish. Kind of hearty, I'd say medium-full in strength. Not something I'd seek out.

I also sparked a Gurkha Archive 1887. This was wrapped in a dark maduro leaf, and was a crisply box-pressed torpedo. Impeccably constructed. It burned slow & even for the most part, but I did have to re-light it once or twice. This was quite good. A nice sweet spiciness accenting a full, leathery core. Maybe some coffee notes as well? I've never seen this offered for sale, so I'm not sure how expensive these are (few Gurkhas are cheap). I'd consider buying it again; it seemed to bridge the full on spiciness of the regular 1887 Connecticut and the full, coffee noted 1887 Maduro very nicely. It was mellower than either, but no lightweight, and the spice was sweeter than the former, but a little bolder than the latter's, which I always thought was blunted too much by the sweet maduro wrappers. It could conceivably be better than either, as it seemed mmore well rounded than either of the previous 1887 series offerings. Highly recommended.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Malfunctioning Host

OK, I've been busy so sorry for the delay in these postngs:

Over the weekend I smoked an ACID Kuba Maduro. This was good. REAL good. It had the same spicy-sweet aromatics as a regular Kuba Kuba or a Wafe, but was richer, smoother & more complex. Perhaps a touch sweeter, owing to the maduro wrapper. This may be my new 2d favorite ACID (Deep Dish still wins out, but not by much).

Later on I smoked an Arganese. This was a nice smoke as well. Spicy & sweet predominantly, particularly on the opening. Faded a bit toward the middle, but came back, particularly the spice, toward the end. Most enjoyable.

Both the above were Cigarfest freebies.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Malfunctioning Host

Smoked an Augusto Reyes Epicur at a party last night. Not bad, but not great either. Mainly earthy & full in character, with a note of sweetness. I did feel the draw was too tight, however, and it went out 3 times, requiring me to re light it (4 if you count the last one, when I gave up on it w/ a few more puffs to go). This was a cigarfest freebie, and wasn't nearly as good as the Nativo. Doubt I'd buy one based on this specimen's performance.