Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > The Braindead Oven

The Braindead Oven We love to eat. You love to eat. Let's talk about food here!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Malfunctioning Host

IggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandas

Ever try it aged? I've seen it offered for sale as old as 5 yrs. It gets hard & crumbly, kind of like parmagiano-reggiano, and develops a much more complex flavor than un-aged gouda has. I don't particularly care for it, though, because it develops a caramel like sweetnes that I don't like in cheese. BUt many leading authorities swear by it. As for un-smoked, REALLY well made un-smoked gouda can be good. There was a Hickory Farms like mail order outfit called the Swiss Colony (based outta MN< IIRC) that sold a big 2 lb wax enshrouded ball of gouda referred to as the "Pet Gouda", and THAT was good shit. Otherwise, it's just kind of blah, IMO.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Malfunctioning Host

IggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandas

Tried some Ubracio and Tilsit for lunch yesterday. Ubracio is something I'd seen around but always avoided purchasing. Not sure why. It's a semi-hard cheese w/ holes deliberately poked in the top, which are then filled w/ must (the skins of grapes that have been pressed for wine making), & covered with some kind of leaf to prevent mold growth. The cheese has a mild flavor, with winey, fruity notes very evident. Not something I'd typically gravitate toward, as I prefer more robust cheeses, but would appeal to milder fans or beginners. The tilsit I'd had before, and it's always been a favorite. Very strongly flavored. Kind of reminded me of a more assertive, less salty Havarti. Maybe some Swiss Emmental after notes. Great with strongly seasoned crackers or breads.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Malfunctioning Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggytheBorg View Post
As far as my favorite cheddars go, I like cabot a lot, and they're widely available (at least in the Northeast) in the regular dairy case. I especially dig the Seriously Sharp; it's apparently a "mistake"; when a batch of sharp cheddar somehow gets screwed up & ends up being TOO sharp, they sell it as this. Sometimes tastes. . . off, as not every batch is the same. But when it's on, it's a beautiful thing. Grafton Village is also awesome. They make a 5 yr old which tastes great, but has a gritty, slightly crunchy consistency (as all cheddars aged over 2 yrs tend to), which I find somewhat unpleasant. But grated & melted over a steaming hot bowl of my homemade chili. . . dat's some good magic right there. Tillamook is also supposed to be fantastic, but for some reason I have never gotten around to trying this, even though King's sells it.
My sister in law, knowing how much I love cheese, bought me a block of 6 yr old Canadian cheddar. I was a littlt leery of this, as I never cared much for the 5 yr old Grafton Village I'd tried (too crunchy & grainy in texture). But this stuff was awesome. Sharp but not overwhelming, creamy & flaky in texture. Not hard, crunchy or grainy at all. Went with crusty Italian bread like it was born to it. HIGHLY recommended.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
yiff it and quit it

Shit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandas

I tried Black Diamond 5 Year cheddar from Whole Foods a few weeks back. I still have dreams about it.

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
*RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~
Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Ms. January, Ava Gardner!

Lisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggytheBorg View Post
Tried some Ubracio and Tilsit for lunch yesterday. Ubracio is something I'd seen around but always avoided purchasing. Not sure why. It's a semi-hard cheese w/ holes deliberately poked in the top, which are then filled w/ must (the skins of grapes that have been pressed for wine making), & covered with some kind of leaf to prevent mold growth. The cheese has a mild flavor, with winey, fruity notes very evident.
That sounds like absolute heaven!

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Malfunctioning Host

As I type this, I am enjoying some fresh ricotta purchased from Wegman's, which I'm pairing with a Joseph Brau Brewing Co. Dunkelweizen. There is a growing movement to start pairing beer with cheese (something the Germans and Belgians have apparently been doing for centuries). I'm all for this, as I love beer and cheese in equal measure. The above was suggested in a special pullot from an issue of "Culture", a cheese focused magazine I found in (where else?) the Wegman's cheese section two trips ago. The ricotta is from the local boys at the Antonio Mozzarella Factory in Springfield, NJ (fresh Rocotta must be purchased w/in a few days of making, or it loses a lot of its character). God, this stuff is GOOD. Light, airy, creamy & fresh tasting. No citrus notes as you can reportedly get w/ some fresh ricottas, but a clean, delicious milky flavor. It really pairs well with the clean crispness of the beer. If all you know of ricotta is the Polly-O stuff in the plastic tubs, you NEED to do yourself the favor of checking out some locally made, artisanal fresh ricotta. With or without the beer, as is or as an ingredient in your cooking. . . TRUST me on this. You'll love it.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Malfunctioning Host

I hadn't had Gorgonzola in awhile. But I decided to buy a wedge & try pairing it with some brews. So far, I tried it with Stone Imperial Russian Stout. It went well with it, accentuating the smoky, spicy notes of the beer. BUt i disliked the strongest element of the beer's flavor, its thick, coffee-like character. So it wasn't the ultimate cheese/beer pairing ever. However, I've gort more cheese left, and will be pairing it with some Stone Ruination IPA very soon.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Fleshlight King

BillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandas

Oh guys, I wish I could take you cheese shopping with me. Our new grocery store has a massive, and I mean massive, cheese shop. With a couple of cheese experts on hand to help in picking out your cheese. I have yet to buy anything really special, because no prices are marked. If you gotta ask, and all that.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:28 AM
<-My Inspiration

Lesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The FaheyLesley is as epic as The Fahey

Check out this website: http://grilledcheeseacademy.com/

Many glorious recipes for grilled cheese sandwiches. I want to try The Green Acre. Yum.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Fleshlight King

BillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandasBillyG is a god amongst pandas

So last night I grabbed a wedge of Blue Stilton, as all of you fine gentleman have been crying its virtues. HOLY SHIT. So good. Extremely rich. I had some by itself and some on some delicious flavored crackers. My girlfriend could only eat it on the crackers because of how strong the flavor was, she needed to cut it somehow. I could have had the whole damn wedge, but at $16 a pound I had to limit myself. I would LOVE to make a salmon quesadilla covered with it though.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Fuck you all...

V is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandasV is a god amongst pandas

*rubs hands together*

Excellent...
Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Malfunctioning Host

Wait til you try roquefort. . .

Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Fleshlight King

How much is that going to run me?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Ms. January, Ava Gardner!

Lisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurtsLisa is so fucking epic it hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
Check out this website: http://grilledcheeseacademy.com/

Many glorious recipes for grilled cheese sandwiches. I want to try The Green Acre. Yum.
Oh, god, that is fabulous!

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM
yiff it and quit it

Shit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandas

GUYS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
*RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Shut up, crime!

gravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandasgravedigger is a god amongst pandas

Y-E-S
Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Malfunctioning Host

WANT.

Made some grilled cheese sammiches w/ Italian bread & fontina, some w/ Irish cheddar, & some w/ Vella dry Jack on Sunday. So. fucking. good.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Fleshlight King

Yea Imma make that this weekend, but with jalpano jack too.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 AM
RIP Ferg

B_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandas

Grilled cheese: I'll take things I need in my life RITE NAO!!! for a $1000 Alex.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 AM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Timothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandas

Gonna have some grilled cheese goodness Saturday at my mom-in-laws. Wif bacon. And beer. Everyone else is having mac and cheese.