Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Comics and Literature

Comics and Literature We're not the hugest comic nerds out there, but we have been known to read an issue of "Spider-Ham" from time to time.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 AM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Martin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandas

So Howard, Dust of Dreams?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Texan

Howard is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurts

Have it (for a few weeks now) but haven't started yet. I also have Bauchlein & Korbal Broach too. Part of me wants to devour it and part of me wants to wait until I hear that he's finished with the last one. I have a feeling I am going to be impatient for the last when I finish DoD.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Texan

Howard is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurts

Also, I think that Sanderson really has revived my love of WoT. Halfway through so I won't recommend picking it up yet BUT at this point Sanderson would really have to drop the ball for me to not recommend.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Martin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Have it (for a few weeks now) but haven't started yet. I also have Bauchlein & Korbal Broach too. Part of me wants to devour it and part of me wants to wait until I hear that he's finished with the last one. I have a feeling I am going to be impatient for the last when I finish DoD.
Yes. You. Will. Be.

It ends in a cliffhanger. Sort of. It's not cheap or anything, but at least you start to get the big picture, and oh man is it brutal.

Haven't touched those Korbal books. I wanna get Return of the Crimson Guard and Night of Knives this Christmas. I WANT!

ANd I might get Sanderson's Warbreaker. It's a standalone novel (!!!), a rarity in the field.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Texan

Side note on WoT. In years past, I would re-read the last 2 or so before starting the new one (refresher). I didn't this time and was able to jump right into the book. Startling. So basically I'm saying if you haven't picked up the last few and wanted to start fresh then this is a good starting point as things are actually happening. Definite plot moving forward and issues getting resolved.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
is fancy

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

I'm currently reading Patient Zero. And yes there are zombies in it. haha.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:40 PM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Side note on WoT. In years past, I would re-read the last 2 or so before starting the new one (refresher). I didn't this time and was able to jump right into the book. Startling. So basically I'm saying if you haven't picked up the last few and wanted to start fresh then this is a good starting point as things are actually happening. Definite plot moving forward and issues getting resolved.

I think I read the 1st book ages ago.

And Rob, zombies are everywhere now. Even in Harlequin books.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
My wife's son

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

Reading Russ Meyers' bio at the moment.

It is fucking great, and a hoot to boot.

Man sure loved tits.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Man sure loved tits.
Most painfully obvious statement ever? I think so.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 AM
My wife's son

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

Sure is/was/will be for the remaining 300 or so pages.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 PM
yiff it and quit it

Shit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandas

Middlesex got kinda boring. Cracked Paul Auster's New York Trilogy and can't put that shit down. Unfortunately I have life-related things to do that I'm now putting off to read this.

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
*RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~
Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM
My wife's son

Tandem reading the last of Russ Meyer's bio and the second Parker novel, The Man with the Getaway Face.

Both rewarding in different ways, featuring different kinds of bastards, each of which are likable.

Them basterds...
Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 AM
yiff it and quit it

Shit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandas

I really wanna read that Meyer biography now.

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
Old 01-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Here for laughs

Ingrid is so fucking epic it hurtsIngrid is so fucking epic it hurtsIngrid is so fucking epic it hurtsIngrid is so fucking epic it hurtsIngrid is so fucking epic it hurtsIngrid is so fucking epic it hurtsIngrid is so fucking epic it hurtsIngrid is so fucking epic it hurtsIngrid is so fucking epic it hurtsIngrid is so fucking epic it hurtsIngrid is so fucking epic it hurts

In the midst of The Things They Carried. Really well written compilation of short stories about Vietnam. Next up: The Help.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 PM
My wife's son

Mencken's Chrestomathy.

I have found my misanthropic twin. And he is much more verbose than I could ever hope to be.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM
yiff it and quit it

Gonna finish Power of the Dog by Don Winslow this weekend before Cameron Hughes kills me - to be fair it's a fantastic book and I'll listen to Cameron's crime fiction recommendations all day long (and Rath, too, but he's a poopyhead who doesn't post here anymore because he's too busy living it up in NYC), but I haven't had much reading time this week at all.

Then I have Kazuo Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go" and Joe Lansdale's "A Fine Dark Line", which is another Cameron recommendation.

~
Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 PM
My wife's son

*irony in this post. I haz it.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:34 PM
yiff it and quit it

Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go" isn't grabbing me (hurr) so I'm gonna take that shit back. Grabbed Franzen's "The Corrections, a collection of short stories by Dorothy Parker, James Lee Burke's "Tin Roof Blowdown", and Anne Enright's "Yesterday's Weather".

~
Old 01-22-2010, 01:58 PM
is not Montel Williams

Ed Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurtsEd Hocken is so fucking epic it hurts

Currently reading Nudge by Cass Sunnestein and Richard Thaler.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Texan

So Martin. Grabbed a book from the shelf on the way to work and didn't pay attention to what I picked. DoD. Figured, what the hell, I'll read the opening at lunch. Goddamnit. Hooked already.