Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Comics and Literature

Comics and Literature We're not the hugest comic nerds out there, but we have been known to read an issue of "Spider-Ham" from time to time.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey
Default The Great Hullabaloo: BOOKS.

(All-encompassing thread for what you're reading now.)

So, before I headed out to see Moon, I went to the shitty chain bookstore and picked up a few books.

Yes. Real books.

And comics too (Wahoo! Garth Ennis' Battlefields is the shit, yo!). But that's besides the point.

Two mainstays of the sci-fi genre, trailblazers in their own right, and two mainstays of which I have never read (ashamedly, I must admit it).

Neuromancer
by Billy Gibson (I bet he likes "Billy" more than the more academic "William" horseshit anyway) and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phil Dick.

Question: which should I crack open first (even though I already peaked at the first 12 or so pages of Neuromancer at the store)?
You have to understand, these are people who work hard for a living. They have tough lives. Structured lives. They work all day, then they have dinner, put their kids to bed, go to sleep, and get back to the set at five o’clock the next morning. Everything else in life except for dreams has rules.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:18 AM
getting ready for summer

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

Read Do Androids first. Probably one of my favorite books by PKD and in general. Neuromancer is great as well, but a bit tougher of a read at first.

If you dig PKD, search out his short story collections. Those are fucking awesome.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Made Mr. T Cry

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

Awesome, sir.

Thanks for the suggestions. Time for Phil.
You have to understand, these are people who work hard for a living. They have tough lives. Structured lives. They work all day, then they have dinner, put their kids to bed, go to sleep, and get back to the set at five o’clock the next morning. Everything else in life except for dreams has rules.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 AM
getting ready for summer

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

Awesome. I'm curious to hear what you thought of it when you finish it.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM
getting ready for summer

I just finished The Road. Goddamn. Great book. The way it's written made me feel like I had a weight on my chest the whole time. I'm super excited for the flick now.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
It's All A Deep End

PHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandasPHEDG is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I just finished The Road. Goddamn. Great book. The way it's written made me feel like I had a weight on my chest the whole time. I'm super excited for the flick now.
great, you should be pleasantly disappointed, like most book to movie transition outcomes.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

Hey now, we'll always have Fear and Loathing...
Old 07-26-2009, 03:48 PM
yiff it and quit it

Shit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandas

Bump: Reading Josh Alan Friedman's "Tales of Times Square".

Apparently guys would go go to strip bars on certain nights and pay from $20-40 for a "box lunch", which is pretty much what it sounds like...a furry snack from a stripper.

Interesting.

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
*RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~
Old 08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
getting ready for summer

Because I like to read what most people would call "trash", I'm reading Brian Keene's newest book- Urban Gothic. All about a house whose inhabitants are feral, fucked up and freaks and who like to torment the sad souls that seek shelter in it. Digging it so far. Dude is one of my favorite horror authors. Go check out The Rising and City of the Dead (in that order) if you dig zombies and want to get a new take on them.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:27 PM

zanie can rock until they dropzanie can rock until they dropzanie can rock until they dropzanie can rock until they drop

A friend of mine finally convinced me to buy Sandman. Love it. Alot.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:56 PM
yiff it and quit it

Shit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandasShit Dickface is a god amongst pandas

Working my way through Don DeLillo's Underworld.

My haul from the library today:
Maldoror and the Complete Works of the Comte de Lautréamont
Kobo Abe - The Box Man
Kobo Abe - The Ruined Map
Josh Bazell - Beat The Reaper
Steven M. Forman - Boca Knights

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 PM
yiff it and quit it

Just finished Boca Knights - thanks for the recommendation, Bud, it was pretty great although a little cutesy at the end, but Perlmutter's still a kickass protagonist and his dialogue with Mr. Johnson throughout the book killed me.

~
Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 AM
getting ready for summer

I just finished Urban Gothic and that was one hell of a horror book. I dug it.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Texan

Howard is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurts

Everything Matters by Ron Currie Jr. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
getting ready for summer

If it's anything like Everyone Poops then SOLD!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
yiff it and quit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Everything Matters by Ron Currie Jr. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
Yeah, I just finished this one a couple of weeks ago and it's great.

~
Old 09-28-2009, 12:03 PM
getting ready for summer

I finally picked up the first tradepaperback of The Goon this weekend (I had only had #0). Man, this series is fucking great. Really can't wait for that CG flick to come out.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Texan

Howard is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurtsHoward is so fucking epic it hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If it's anything like Everyone Poops then SOLD!
Nothing like. Read it regardless.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:05 PM
getting ready for summer

Oh I know. I'll be picking that book up after I finish my current one.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:58 PM
yiff it and quit it

Things I learned today thanks to books:
Linda Lovelace did a movie with a dog, and her husband was an irredeemable fucking dick.

~