Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Random shit

Random shit Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Malfunctioning Host

IggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandas

Smoked a Mark Twain #3 the other night. This thing is huge (8.5" x 54). I worried that it might have a tough draw, but those worries proved unfounded. The draw was effortless. Which was a very good thing, because this was a tasty cigar. The blurb in the CI catalog says there are notes oak, cream, and pepper. As is so often the case, they're spot on. Those are the nuances, pretty much in that order. And ranked by their intensity. The pepper was mercifully light; that can overwhelm a cigar if there's too much of it. The amount here was perfect, and balanced well by the cream notes (which were most noticeable on the opening).

As an aside: I ordered a bundle of Rocky Patel fumas (cigars made from mixed long and short filler, rather than the all long filler in the label's premium blends. Often referred to as a "Cuban sandwich" blend). It has Edge, Edge Maduro and Connecticut fumas in it. All three are reasonable facsimiles of the premium brands flavor wise. But as with any short filler cigars, you have to be very careful cutting them, and can't chew on them too much (as I sometimes I do). The short filler will then start to fall out, and not in little scattered and short lived bits, like the untrimmed ends of a long filler, but in plugs, like little chaws of chewing tobacco. That can be annoying.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Malfunctioning Host

IggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandas

Smoked a Nat Sherman Joel Sherman 75th Anniversary this afternoon while prepping a case. I liked this, in that it was a pleasant, medium bodied cigar. Mellow notes of toast and wood, with perhaps a faint sweetness on the opening. Kind of reminded me of a faint-hearted Rocky Patel Connecticut. Which makes me wonder what I'd ever need this cigar for. In all honesty, I'd have expected more from a commemorative cigar. Nat's Host selection, their current flagship mild cigar, is tons more flavorful. I don't recall what I paid for this, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. unless you're a Nat completeist (which I am), you can safely skip this one without feeling cheated.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Malfunctioning Host

Enjoyed a Quezada Oktoberfest - so called because it's supposedly designed to pair with beer - with a Palmetto Brewing Co. Amber Ale whilst enjoying a night in Myrtle. Nice citrus component to it that compliments the hops in the beer very well. Hardly a favorite, but it has its place.

Also tried a Mark Twain Memoir. 6.7" with a 64 ring gauge (meaning it's an inch in diameter), this thing was massive and took a long time to smoke. maybe not quite as good as the flagship mark Twain blend, but plenty tasty. Sweetness and spice were most evident. The coffee promised by the CI catalog blurb was most restrained, which scored it points with me. Damned glad I got four more of these.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Malfunctioning Host

Also: the importance of a good, sharp cutter cannot be overstated. I knew I'd be flying back, and wouldn't get my good cutter thru security. I have a cheap, single bladed cutter down there already, and I figured I'd just use that. HUGE mistake. It is so dull it wouldn't cut all the way thru a single cigar I smoked down there last week, including thin ended torpedoes. All of them got mangled to some degree, and the wrappers started unraveling on most of them. Seriously detracted from a couple. Gonna have to buy another to leave there when I next drive down at X-mas. Don't let this happen to you.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Malfunctioning Host

The Gurkha Hudson Bay Red Skies is legit. Leather and mellow spice, with maybe some earth at the core. At least as good as the original Hudson Bay.

I also enjoyed a Bohemian by Victor Sinclair, but I forgot to take notes as to why. I'll have to try another.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:28 PM
Malfunctioning Host

In the wake of the implementation of that new FDA regulation on registering new blends, last Monday Cigarbid had a BUNCH of new Gurkhas up for bid. At least a half dozen things I had never heard of. I bid on at least a single from all of them, and won all the auctions I entered. This could be interesting.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Malfunctioning Host

Been a little derelict in my duties here. Some stuff I've sampled recently:

The Gurkha Calcutta. Redolent with sweet and spicy notes, growing in strength from the opening. It reminds me of the cuisine of the land that inspired it. A delight.

The Gurkha Governor's Reserve has an earthy core, with plentiful notes of sweet, exotic spice. Much like those in the Calcutta, but a little more muted. Excellent.