Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Technology and other nerd stuff

Technology and other nerd stuff Are you a fan of tech? Do you have a cellphone attached to your hip? Maybe a bluetooth headset? Post about tech stuff here.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:12 AM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Martin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandas

Check out the Anova too if you see a sale.

Kenji did a review, and the Anova and Sansaire got great reviews. And he's on the Anova team now.

And since you seem to like The Food Lab, well, you're in for treat since Kenji is into sous-vide a lot. A good guide for it.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:14 AM
feels good man

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

cool, yeah that looks pretty much like the one I linked but cheaper.

Hmmmmms. Now to decide.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:27 AM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Martin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandasMartin is a god amongst pandas

I'd say wait a bit and sign up for their newsletter, as they have sales and/or codes.

Also, I bought a plastic container to cook in it, after like a year of putting the stuff in my metal pots. I can left it on the counter (the metal pot becomes HOT!). 20$.... ludicrous....

Also, I already had a food saver, so there's that, but you can easily manage without. I can take the sous vide bag, let it dip in the water, and strap it on the side with paper binders. Easy.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:36 AM
feels good man

Abraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The FaheyAbraham Smashington is as epic as The Fahey

like from what I've read I'd be fine with ziploc bags right?
Old 02-25-2016, 11:57 AM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Yeah. Ziploc says no (for legal reasons, I think), but I doubt it. Just use heavy duty ones, or get sous vide bags. Just not the sandwich ones.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:08 PM
feels good man

if you use sous vide bags don't you need a vacuum sealer? or no.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:41 PM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Not if it's a bag per se, as it has 2 open ends. If it's a pouch, or a ziploc, with only one end open, just clip it on the side with a paper binder, dangling in the water. Don't trust the Ziploc seal!

Such as:

Old 02-25-2016, 12:50 PM
feels good man

cool. I want to try this dammit.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:04 PM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

Try tonight!

I did it before buying mine
Old 02-25-2016, 01:09 PM
feels good man

that's fucking awesome.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:38 PM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

It works. You just need a thermometer, but it will get you a feel of it all. It's not very precise, but itS' fun and will make you much better steak anyway.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 AM
feels good man

I showed my wife this thread last night and she's so on board with getting one of these.

I'm just trying to debate which one now.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:35 PM
CHONG LI! CHONG LI!

I can personally vouch for the Anova, but I guess the Joule is probably gonna be good too. A sous vide cooker ain't the game changer the Instant pot was (it's a pressure cooker/slow cooker/a lot of stuff), but it's close.